Monday, December 17, 2007

"It's Christmas time in Hollis-Queens, mama's cookin' chicken and collared greens..."

Happy holidays freaks!

I thought I would take a break from shopping/trying to buy your love, and take a moment to reflect on the Christmas spirit. A time to count your blessings as well as your presents. I'm gonna snap if my brother gets more than me again. A time to show peace on earth and good will toward those countries that do what we tell them. A time to put ourselves in debt and make the rich richer. A time to stand in line overnight to shop at five in the morning to get that must have toaster/egg poacher. (I didn't make that up, I really saw one of those at the store.)

I'm not condemning these things. That's Christmas to me. That's how I was raised. Us recovering Catholics know no other way. But that's alright. As long as we get to drink egg nog and rum, it's all good. I'm not going to rag on the fact we totally lost the true meaning. Hell, I don't think I know the true meaning.

It's Jesus' birthday right? So why do I have to buy shit for my kids? We are supposed to give thanks and celebrate what is special in our lives. How, by sending cheap cards to people we haven't seen in years? What the fuck's up with the Christmas tree? I don't think Joseph and Mary had one in Bethlehem. Don't get me wrong, I believe in God and Jesus and all that, but I don't see the connection between them and a Charlie Brown Christmas. I skimmed through the bible and didn't see any reference to the Grinch.

Every year I hear the same thing from old people: We have lost the true meaning of Christmas.
People didn't start celebrating Christmas for many years after Christ's death. It wasn't like the very next year people started giving fruit cakes, and candy canes to each other. They even had to have meetings on when to celebrate it.

Again I ask, what is the true meaning? I used to feel like I had the spirit, but the last couple of years I don't. I try to think what is different but I can't. And the main reason I can't is I don't know what I'm supposed to feel. Should I feel guilty because I'm a sinner? (boy am I) Should I feel happy because Jesus died for my sins? That's a little morbid. I give thanks for my family and friends, but do need to buy someone an xbox to show it?

I've asked in the past for you guys to write me a comment so I know you're out there, but now ask for your answers. I want to believe. I want to know the true meaning. I want to feel the spirit. But most of all, I want the Lego Deathstar.

Before I go, I want to remind my fellow Debaucherists of the up coming solstice. Yes, it's that time again. December 21st is this Friday. Day of Debauchery is here!!!! Dust off those beer helmets and dig out your shin guards cause it's on! Our Texas pod, all one of him, is going to join our Denver crew for the first time. He's scared, and should be. Not only are we getting better each time, but it's going to be cold out. We might get our first Debaucherist with frostbite. Sweet! And to my Wyoming and Missouri pods, I'm going to retract the rule of needing more then one person to debaucherize. Go nuts all by yourselves if you want. Just remember to pin your address and medical records on your shirt in case they find you passed out in a bathroom somewhere.

Meeting at my house at nine or so. Don't miss out.

See ya.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of Christmas I would like to say that having time off work to just stay home with the ones I love is a blessing to me. But the biggest blessing is finally having that family I always dreamed of as a little girl. You and my children are my Holiday spirit, you make me happy and bring me joy beyond words. Things do seem a bit out of touch these days, life can definitely be tough. However, when I return home to your arms in the safety of our house you have built for my children and I it is what I believe Christmas is-FAMILY. You are my Holiday, my vacation, my something great, and I am truly thankful.
That being said, now let's get our party on and see if we can scare the hell out of our Texan boy and debaucherize like we know how!

Anonymous said...

hey, need something new!!!